Becoming Queen - Kate Willams - Vlrireads

ABOUT | À PROPOS

REVIEWS | CRITIQUES

RC 2017

NOW READING ☆

The World of Ice and Fire: The Official History of Westeros and The World of A Game of Thrones
George R.R. Martin, Linda Antonsson, Elio M. Garcia jr.
PROGRESS: 19/288 PAGES
PROGRESS: 77/429 PAGES
La danse de Gengis Cohn
Romain Gary
PROGRESS: 140/352 PAGES

“ Still, there are times I am bewildered by each mile I have traveled, each meal I have eaten, each person I have known, each room in which I have slept. As ordinary as it all appears, there are times when it is beyond my imagination. ”

― Jhumpa Lahirir

“ And so we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past. ”

― F. Scott Fitzgeral

Becoming Queen - Kate Willams

Becoming Queen - Kate Williams

I must say that, during my studies in literature, I was often searching and learning about monarchy as, in literature history, it plays a major role, of course. I kind of like everything about kings, queens and history of France but also England who, we must admit it, form a strong mix (not too mixed) of North America’s history. Anyway, I was learning here and there to put my readings in context, from Middle Age to 19th century, and since school is over, I decided to find and read much about kings and queens. Even if there are people who think they are absolutely useless and money suckers, for my part and without any political view, I think that the fact they’re trapped in the one-thousand-years-of-traditional-duties make their life kind of impressive. When we think they are as human as we are, we must admit they made pretty much good stories.

So, end of personal chat, I've been reading Becoming Queen from Kate Williams who is also a Historian and everything I was looking for about Queen Victoria was there in the way I wanted to understand it. I tend to think that, in "biographies", we often get lost in facts and, in that case, Williams succeeded in placing facts, quotes and contextualization in a beautiful way. We know that Queen Victoria has become Queen because of her cousin Princess Charlotte's death and the lack of heir produced by her other uncles. At my biggest surprise, the story of these two princess wasn't as "easy-living" as I thought and how Victoria became the greatest woman monarch of England’s history (after or before Queen Elizabeth II maybe) is even more amazing.

When we get to know more about monarchy, the great obstacle is that there is too much individual and that they often got the same name. But I surely recommend this book for learning purpose. Accept it or not, I think monarchy had played the big part of the world we actually live in and to know little or much about it is kind of a big deal.

4 ☆ ½