Young Elizabeth - Kate Williams - Vlrireads

ABOUT | À PROPOS

REVIEWS | CRITIQUES

RC 2017

NOW READING ☆

The World of Ice and Fire: The Official History of Westeros and The World of A Game of Thrones
George R.R. Martin, Linda Antonsson, Elio M. Garcia jr.
PROGRESS: 19/288 PAGES
PROGRESS: 77/429 PAGES
La danse de Gengis Cohn
Romain Gary
PROGRESS: 140/352 PAGES

“ Still, there are times I am bewildered by each mile I have traveled, each meal I have eaten, each person I have known, each room in which I have slept. As ordinary as it all appears, there are times when it is beyond my imagination. ”

― Jhumpa Lahirir

“ And so we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past. ”

― F. Scott Fitzgeral

Young Elizabeth - Kate Williams

Young Elizabeth: The Making of the Queen - Kate  Williams

I just finished reading this book once again by Williams. Like the book Becoming Queen, this one is about the early life of a princess before she became queen and what made her the way she is today. The first and big part of this book is obviously about the abdication of King Edward VIII who make his brother King George VI king of England and the most appreciated Lilibeth (Elizabeth), second in line to the throne. Second part of the book is all about the WWII and how the newly royal family has succeeded to cope with the chaos. I found it actually very remarkable that through all of this chaotic world of the 30s until the 50s, have cross a young kid who became a teen and then a queen with such a calm and focused mind on people and particularly the youth of England. This book is filled with facts about Hitler, the royal family members, and English politic but when its about Elizabeth everything seems calm and under control. I think this actually reflect the way she ruled and managed things until today. As it is said in the book, love her or not, she is the 20 century and she saw it under all its faces and she remains, until the crazy modernity we live in today, a dutiful monarch who believe in the monarchy and its responsibilities.

If like me you have some interest in the way education play a major role in peoples life, I think this is the book to learn more than ever about the queen and her personality. Her education and early life was and is still something very uncommon for a young women and that's what make her an interesting and loved character of todays life.

3 ☆ ½